Location: This position works remotely and has regional responsibilities (Denver, etc.) so the exact home base location can be in a 100 mile radius of Denver.
* A minimum of 3 years professional experience related to Satellite Communications
* Previous Field Support experience is a plus
* This is a field position that requires the ability to travel throughout your region however most of the travel is day-travel with just the occasional overnight travel.
* This is a road warrior position (utilizing company vehicle) so excessive amounts of drive-time can be expected.
* Ability to pass a drug screening, background check, MVR screening will be required.
Overview of Position
The main role of the Field Engineer is to provide the troubleshooting ability needed to correctly diagnose and effectively handle field-related trouble calls associated with earth station and satellite network systems. The position requires a system-level understanding of the principles of satellite RF communications including Ku-Band, Ka and C-band plus familiarity with the following equipment is desirable: satellite modems, transmitters, antennas, antenna controls, motors, resolvers, LNBs, encoders, 3-phase power, multiplexers, IRDs, signal routing, fiber optics, HDTV, conditioning and monitoring equipment. The position also requires basic knowledge of network communications and TCP/IP protocols including IP addressing, subnet masks, and VLAN configurations as well as working knowledge of the configuration and testing of network equipment such as routers, switches and video equipment with IP interfaces and IP encapsulated video.
The successful candidate should also be knowledgeable with the associated test equipment including but not limited to: Spectrum Analyzers, Power Meters, BER Test Sets, Video and Audio Distortion Analyzers, TDR’s, basic electrical test equipment, etc. A background which includes LAN, WAN, TDMA, and other technologies would be a definite plus. Candidate should also have knowledge of basic network troubleshooting and troubleshooting tools. Familiarity with a Network Analyzer and Transport Stream Analyzer is also a plus. Familiarity with PCs and basic Microsoft Office programs, plus Terminal Emulation is necessary. The ability to read schematic and wiring diagrams is also necessary. Candidate must also possess excellent writing and verbal abilities. Must be able to conceptualize and troubleshoot problems. Candidate must work well with others in a team environment, sometimes in pressure situations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Test, troubleshooting, commissioning and continuing support of customer sites
- Support of Installation and Integration crews
- Interface with the Customer Service, Satellite Operations and Technical Support Center plus supporting departments
- Interpret technical writing, to include procedures, data sheets, surveys and technical annuals.
- Occasional project work
- Rack integration, cable fabrication, cable terminations and interconnect wiring
- Optimizing earth station antennas
- Overseeing contractors and temporary help
- Ability to peak and optimize antennae
- Ability to configure and test IP based network equipment
Skills and Attributes
- Knowledge of satellite earth stations and associated equipment
- Knowledge of applicable test equipment; Spectrum Analyzers, Power Meters, Frequency Counters, Transmission Test Sets, Distortion Analyzers, BER Test Sets, Video/Audio Monitors, etc.
- Proficient at system level troubleshooting and testing
- Working knowledge of C-Band and Ku-Band transmit and receive equipment
- Working knowledge of networking equipment including the configuration and testing of routers, switches, and network interfaces including IP encapsulated video
- Working knowledge digital video equipment including encoders, multiplexers, modulators and receivers
- Ability to utilize personal computer and/or computer terminal including keyboard and mouse or equivalent